According to Wikipedia, “Retroreflective sheeting is flexible retroreflective material primarily used to increase the nighttime conspicuity of traffic signs, high-visibility clothing, and other items so they are safely and effectively visible in the light of an approaching driver's headlamps. The sheeting consists of retroreflective glass beads, microprisms, or encapsulated lenses sealed onto a fabric or plastic substrate. Many different colors and degrees of reflection intensity are provided by numerous manufacturers for various applications. As with any retroreflector, sheeting glows brightly when there is a small angle between the observer's eye and the light source directed toward the sheeting, but appears non-reflective when viewed from other directions.”
Advantages and Features
Some of the advantages of reflective tape are that it has a flexible construction making it easy to apply, the pressure-sensitive adhesive allows for quick adhesion, and it is resistant to tough weather conditions. One of the most important features of retro reflective tape is its ability to collect light, change the color of that light and send it back to its source. This feature is why it is commonly used on stop signs, highway, yield and pedestrian signs. Without this reflective ability, nighttime driving would be very different than what it is now.
Features and benefits of 3M 5100-R reflective Tape that is used as a standard on our bollard covers:
- Pressure-sensitive adhesive - Removable with heat and/or chemicals
- Available in numerous colors, including black (which reflects white)
- Similar daytime and nighttime appearance that retains most of its reflectivity when wet
- Designed for excellent cutting and weeding with computer sign cutting equipment
- For vertical, flat or curved surfaces with or without rivets
- Unprocessed film resists fuel vapors or occasional spills
- Flexible construction for ease of application.
- Printable on multiple imaging platforms.
- Pressure-sensitive adhesive allows for quick adhesion.
- Removable adhesive allows graphics to stay in place until you want to remove them with heat, leaving little or no adhesive residue.
- Durable product ideally suited for medium- or short-term graphics.
Innoplast uses reflective tape and sheeting on many of its products to make sure they are visible at night. If it is not a standard on the product in your shopping cart and you would like it added, call us at 800-516-9287. We are happy to help you add reflective tape to help increase nighttime visibility at your facility!